Pages

Monday 11 June 2012

Some recipes... Eggs Royale

Salamwalikoum,
I thought today I would share one of the recipes from last week's meal plan. The recipe I'm sharing today is called Eggs Royale. I found this recipe in an old french cook book. I inherited this book from an older lady that my mom was friends with.
This lady was originally from France but immigrated to the US as a war bride after WW2. She was a very funny lady and unfortunately didn't have any family here so my mom was about as close to family as she had.

Anyhoo the book is from 1927 and is in poor shape... but I actually found a listing for it on amazon.You can view the listing here. My copy has the exact same cover. The book has all sorts of recipes and even has a calendar at the end that gives you whats meats and produce is in season and when so you know what to shop for when stuff is least expensive.

Now given the age of this book and that its a everyday cookery book, it doesn't have any measurements at all and the instructions are minimal. I think it was written with the idea that most women using the book would have decent knowledge and cooking skills (Which nowadays isn't necessarily the case)

Ok so enough with the blabbering and on with the recipe.

Now the recipe is similar to eggs Benedict but easier on the supplies and the techniques.

Ingredients:

a few slices of stale bread - crusty french bread is awesome for this.
a few eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
salt + pepper
gruyère or Parmesan cheese
bacon or ham (optional) - I don't use this for religious reasons, but I do sometimes substitute for halal chicken bacon...

Directions:
Butter the bread slices on both sides and fry in a pan until golden an crispy. Set aside in a casserole dish
Poach the eggs and drain well then place 1 egg on each piece of bread.(on top of the cooked bacon if you are using it)
In a small saucepan melt the butter.
Once the butter is melted add the flour and make a paste.
Add the milk all at once and stir until the sauce is thick (not too thick)
Don't forget the salt and pepper.

Now on top of each egg add 1-2 tablespoonfuls of sauce. Top with the grated cheese and pop in the oven under broil until the cheese is golden.

This is pretty good anytime.
I serve this usually with some steamed asparagus or a nice salad.

It's pretty quick and super yummy.

Enjoy!

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment